Do you write short stories? Would you like to win a really big prize? Enter the 5th annual Stair Prize in Writing and try your best to impress our judges!
- Submit only one entry per person.
- "I never imagined a simple mistake could lead to..." is the 2019 phrase you must include in a mystery, fantasy, science fiction, or other type of story.
- The short story must be 500 to 1,000 words (approximately 2-4 typed, double-spaced pages). Must be typed and include page numbers. Do not include your name on any of the story pages.
- Entries must include the Official Entry Form. Keep a copy of your story as entries will not be returned.
- Entries with offensive content - explicit violence, sexuality, language, or material considered offensive to any religious or ethnic groups, gender, or physically or mentally challenged persons - will be disqualified.
- The Stair Prize Writing Committee and Tampa-Hillsborough County Public Library employees and their families are not eligible.
- Submissions accepted in person at all Tampa-Hillsborough County Public Library locations or mailed to:
Jan Kaminis Platt Regional Library
Attn: Stair Prize in Writing Contest
3910 S. Manhattan Ave.
Tampa, FL 33611
Story Contest and Judging
- Open to Hillsborough County students in grades 7 and 8.
- A panel of judges will determine the contest winner. The judges' decision is final.
- The $500 cash prize will be awarded to a single winner.
- The deadline for entries is Midnight, Friday, October 18.
- The prize winner will be notified by Wednesday, November 13.
- The prize winner will be awarded on Wednesday, November 20.
This contest is funded by the Friends of the Jan Kaminis Platt Regional Library through a grant from the Ralph Stair Foundation.