Home > New Library Catalog
New Library Catalog, Polaris, Coming April 29!
Week of April 22-28
In preparation for our new catalog, access to our current catalog is extremely limited the week of April 22-28. Library Staff are working diligently to meet the needs of all of our customers during this time. Thank you for your patience, we promise it will be well-rewarded when we debut our new and improved catalog on April 29!
What services are affected?
A few customer services will be limited during the migration to the Polaris library catalog:
From April 8 – 28, the libraries will not be able to fill existing hold requests and customers will not be able to place new holds requests. This is to assure that each customer's place in the library's holds queue will be retained during the transfer to Polaris.
From April 22 – 28, library catalog access will be limited, but librarians will support customers in person and by phone to help them find what they are looking for.
In order to renew items this week, please bring your items and your library card to your local branch for staff assistance in person.
Services not affected:
- Customers will be able to check out and return library materials as usual.
- Access to Internet computers, eBooks and the library's subscription databases will not be interrupted.
For all items borrowed between April 8 and 28, the library is offering an extended loan period to thank customers for their understanding during the transition to Polaris. Everything checked out during this time will be due on May 19.
About the new catalog
The Hillsborough County Public Library Cooperative is pleased to announce the arrival of a new, cutting edge library catalog: Polaris!
Polaris is currently used in over 1,800 libraries of all types, both in the United States and Canada and we are thrilled to join their ranks and bring exciting new features to our Hillsborough County Public Libraries.
Polaris will offer the following enhancements and tools for library customers:
- FREE mobile applications to access and search the library materials catalog
- Manage your library account with a customized username and password
- Make online payments 24/7 and receive receipts for library transactions by text message or email
- Save searches and keep track of library items previously checked out
- Find materials just for kids with a special children's catalog
- Smart search tools to quickly find library resources
- Sort search results by relevance and popularity
- Text It feature to send a catalog number by text message
- Map It feature gives customers a map to the location of the specific book they are looking for.
Thank you for your patience during this transition!